August 23, 2008

Thailand Overview

Having just been to Bangkok Thailand and experiencing that country’s culture, people, customs, and traditions I came away with new insights and gifts which I feel are assisting me with my human interactions and service as a professional health care chaplain.
Everywhere I went in Thailand everyone kept showing me great respect as an individual. It was especially noticeable when greeting me with their folded hands pressed against their chest like when you are going to pray and then saying something to the effect, "Namaste." It is a greeting that says, "Hello, I greet and acknowledge the divine spark and image of God in you." It happened every time I met someone, or when a person brought me something like at a restaurant, or when departing and saying goodbye. The hands would fold, the head would bow, and their eyes would look downward with respect in a sign of servitude and back up again with a beautiful smile and eye contact. There was a bright sparkle of openness and eye contact in which you could almost see right into the very soul of the person you were engaged with and sense genuine warmth, a real compassion and gentleness coming from their very being.

Wow, that experience and respect that I received over and over again gave me the ability to think even better of myself and thus moved me to view and help others from a vantage point of wholeness and health.
In care for patients, families, and each other I hope to better understand when behaviors, emotions, tempers, get out of seeming control that I will be able to look beyond all the broken damaged stressed activity and begin to peal off the layers of hurt and see that really underneath all that outward exterior is a beautiful person who really is made in the image of God and likeness and respect and love that individual for who they really are, precious, valuable, and worth more than all the riches in the whole world.
Maybe we can learn from another culture about human respect and honor to the human person? Would you join with me in practicing genuine, honest, openness that really does respect each other with authenticity and heartfelt care?
Thanks so much. From Mike, your chaplain

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike!

    Was thinking of you today and read your update. I join you in thanking God for the touch upon your heart! You are an incredible man that truly has a Christlike Spirit. Thank you for your new posting and we really do need to listen to those words and act on them in this greedy and selfish society.

    Be assured of my continued prayers for your recovery. You are still "A very Smart Man!"

    -- Rich Schenck

    ReplyDelete

1. Hit comments
2. Write comment in box
3. select annoynomous box
4. Hit publish comment
You're done!